Here is how to get rid of lice naturally using home remedies and other natural products.
Most people think the reason they or others have lice living on their heads is a result of poor hygiene. So after washing their hair several times in a day in a bid to get rid of lice, they discover the critters are still living there.
Are you searching for how to get rid of lice naturally? Do you want to know the most effective way to eradicate lice and its eggs from the head without the use of chemicals?
We have compiled a list of natural methods that are very effective in getting rid of lice and nits from the hair.
Most people do not even notice they have lice on their head until it starts to itch them. And the reason some people feel the itch is because they are allergic to lice saliva. That means those who don’t feel the itch may carry lice for a very long time on their heads without noticing it.
If you have reason to believe you are infested with lice, here is how to find out yourself.
How Do People Get Lice In The First Place?
Like I mentioned earlier, a common misconception among people is that lice infestations occur as a result of poor hygiene.
According to the CDC, an estimated 6 million to 12 million infestations occur each year in the United States among children 3 to 11 years of age. All these infestations do not happen as a result of poor hygiene.
As a matter of fact, according to the websites “personal hygiene or cleanliness in the home or school has nothing to do with getting head lice.”
Lice spread through head to head contact with someone whose hair is already infested. Though lice neither fly or hop as most insects do, they can crawl very fast. So fast that they can crawl from the head of their host to another the moment contact is made with the hair.
Other very uncommon methods people get lice to include the sharing of hats, clothes, helmets, hairbrushes, etc, with an infected person.
Home Remedies For Killing Lice: Natural Control Methods
There are several home remedies which can either be used for killing all the lice in the head at once or reducing their number drastically.
While the effectiveness some of these home remedies are yet to be scientifically proven, some have been widely reported by users to have helped them deal with lice.
Below, you will find the most effective home remedies for treating lice that have been widely recommended by users.
Does Coconut oil help in eliminating lice from the hair? How do you use it if it works?
Well according to a study conducted in Brazil, pure coconut oil is very effective in killing head lice.
During the study, the researchers found out that about 80% lice present on the head died after pure coconut oil was applied to it and left for about 4 hours.
Coconut oil can be used together with other natural products like apple cider vinegar to further boost the effectiveness.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Vinegar treatment is another effective home remedy to apply for lice. It eliminates lice by suffocating them.
Though vinegar works well with coconut oil, it can also be applied on its own for lice treatment.
How long do you need to leave the vinegar in your hair for lice?
You may be wondering.
You can apply and leave it on your hair from 15 minutes up. Within this period, a whole lot of those lice living inside the hair must have been killed. The longer you leave the vinegar there, the more result it will yield.
Vinegar Lice Treatment: How To Do It
To get rid of lice using vinegar follow this step by step guide below.
- Carefully apply the treatment all over the hair. Be generous with it as possible. Ensure that no part of the hair is left untouched. Else some lice may just rush over to that area and hide.
- After applying the treatment on every part of your hair and scalp, leave it for some time to work on the hair. This also means you need to prevent the hair from drying within this period by covering it. You can wrap it with a plastic bag, shower cap, etc.
- After leaving the vinegar treatment for a long time on your hair, slowly comb the hair using a nit comb. Gently take it one side after the other to comb out the lice and eggs. Do not bother about combing out everything at once this first time, you can take it one step at a time. Some may never come out until after you have repeated the treatment for at least 2 or 3 times.
- Once you are done with combing the hair, run the hair through a hair straightener. The heat will kill any other lice or nit that may have been missed during the treatment and combing.
Listerine Treatment for Lice
Listerine treatment is one of those home remedies that effectively ill lice and nits. It can be used together with vinegar or any other natural product for eliminating lice.
Does Listerine truly kill lice? If the treatment is applied correctly, yes.
It is also very effective when it comes to getting rid of the eggs from the hair. Below is how to use It or treatment.
How To Treat Lice Using Listerine
Here is how to get rid of lice using Listerine:
- Apply the Listerine treatment all over the scalp and hair. Saturate every part completely with it.
- After that, cover the hair to prevent the Listerine from drying just like that of vinegar treatment, you can use a sower cap for that or a plastic bag.
- Leave it there for as long as you are comfortable having it in your hair. At least for 30 minutes.
- Remove the shower cap or plastic bag after about 30 minutes or more has passed. Some people leave if for at least one hour. Using a nit comb, gently comb every part of your hair. Beginning from your scalp down.
Olive Oil Treatment
Does Olive oil kill lice? How does it do that?
Olive oil works in getting rid of lice by suffocating the insects once it is applied and left on the hair for long periods.
Though is very effective when it comes to eradicating these insects, the common problem most people have with it is that it takes much time to work. To get the best of the oil in wiping out lice from your hair, you will have to leave the oil for long periods. Sometimes for 6 to 12 hours.
How To Kill Lice In The Hair Using Olive Oil
Here is a step by step guide on how to get rid of lice in the hair using Olive oil.
- Completely saturate every part of the scalp and hair with Olive oil.
- Allow a period of 8 to 12 hours to pass before attempting to remove whatever you must have used to cover your hair when you applied Olive oil on it.
- Using a lice comb, carefully comb through the entire head and hair. Always wipe the comb using a paper towel or rinse thoroughly in soap water.
Feel free to repeat the process 2 to 3 times until you get your desired result.
Does Mayonnaise kill lice? Yes, it does. It is one of the home remedies for getting rid of truly effective head lice.
Though Mayonnaise can be a lot messier compared to other home remedies, it truly works. Just like every one of them.
When it’s left in the hair for a very long time, Mayo suffocates those lice so they can be easy to remove.
Treating Lice Infestation With Mayonnaise
Are you searching for how to get rid of head lice using Mayonnaise? Here is the exact information you need.
- Completely massage a quantity of the product into your hair and leave it. Mayonnaise can be quite messy, so keep a clean cloth for taking care of this.
- Leave the Mayonnaise overnight in your hair or for about 12 hours. That way, the lice will be suffocated completely.
- Once that frame has passed, remove the cap or whatever you used in tying it.
- Comb the hair thoroughly and gently to remove the lice and nits.
- Shampoo the hair as always and use hair straighteners to kill the remaining ones
Lice may not cause us any serious disease. But it can surely make our heads itch severely. Even when your hair is clean from dirt.
Are you searching for how to get rid of lice naturally? Do you want to know how to eradicate lice and nits from your hair or that of your kids?
We have in this article revealed the best ways to deal with them using natural or home remedies.
Here, you will find how to use Olive oil, Coconut oil, Listerine, Mayonnaise, etc, to completely get rid of head lice and so on naturally.
I hope you find this information useful.