Here are the 4 main chemical pest control methods, recommended by professionals and health workers.
Pest control chemicals are the major types of vermin extermination practices used today. It is the use of an artificial substance to manage pest infestation in our environment.
Pest control is the management and regulation of a species referred to as pests. Pests are living organisms that bring disaster to crops and livestock.
Below are some of the chemical pest control methods that are widely applied in today’s agriculture, domestic, and cultural landscape.
If you are particular about chemical products that can be used at home, here is a guide.
CHEMICAL METHODS OF PEST CONTROL: 4 OPTIONS
This pest control method is the most effective method of eliminating a pest outbreak and protective agricultural produce. The advancement of science in research and development has made it possible for some modification in some of these chemicals such that it is not as poisonous to other organisms as it used to be.
When controlling pest infestation on a large-scale farming practice, it is cost-effective to adopt the chemical pest control method.
However, one of the major ills of this method of pest control is that a pest may develop resistance and then passes on the genetic trait to the younger generation.
When this happens, there will be a need for a higher concentration of the chemical, which is more dangerous to the environment.
The chemicals used to control pest infestation are;
This method is seen as a popular household pest control. Chemical pesticides are designed to eliminate rodents, e.g., rats and mice.
Mostly applied in food which the rodents consume and after consumption, the chemical causes dehydration and hemorrhage in the rodent.
Some of the rodenticides are;
- Zinc phosphide
Examples of rodenticides are;
- Metal phosphides
- Hypercalcemia-causing pesticides
The use of insecticide has become very popular due to affordability; insecticides are chemical substances that can be used for insect extermination. It depreciates and exterminates the life span of insects.
Fungicides are chemical compound or organic organisms with biocidal properties which help for the destruction of fungi and fungal spores.
Although fungi can lead to loss of yield and lower the final quality of the production due to the severe disruption it can cause to the agricultural process.
Did you know that there are several natural fungicides that you can prepare all by yourself?
- Rosemary Oil
- Jojoba Oil
- Monocerin Oil
- Tea tree Oil
- Citronella Oil
- Oregano Oil
- Nimbin Oil
All you have to do is get any of the extracts mentioned above, and you can start preparing your natural fungicide all by yourself.
Some of the Frequently Asked Questions over the century are;
- Are rodenticides dangerous to my pets?
- Does it contaminate water?
- How much do I apply to get my desired results?
These questions have answers, and I’ll start by giving an example; if you apply the rodenticides to a surface or food meant for rodents, and your pet accidentally eats from that surface or eats the poisoned food, the pet will most likely die.
The same applies to contamination of water; if you apply the rodenticides on a surface, they could find their way to your water storage or leak into the water storage.
Not only can rodenticides cause surface water contamination it could also cause;
- groundwater contamination
- air contamination
- soil contamination
- it can also harm humans if we come in direct contact with it
In other words, whenever you are to apply rodenticides, you must be extra cautious to avoid physical contact with them or to prevent it from spilling.
The preventive measures to be taken to avoid physical contact with chemical and prevent contamination of any kind including;
- Wearing a hand glove before applying your chemical pesticides.
- Disinfecting the surfaces you might have touched while applying.
- Wearing a nose guard/mask to safeguard your health.
- Keeping your pets all locked up during and after applying the pesticides.
- Making sure you cover your water storage in and outside your home (in case you are applying in and outside your home).
- Keep off the areas you just applied the pesticides for a little while.
These methods are the best ways to keep yourself, pets, and farm products from getting contaminated. However, other measures of control will enable you to take charge of your chemical pesticides, and they are as follows:
- Get your chemical pesticides in the form of Granules and Pellets. This kind of insecticide is soaked into vulgar particles, e.g., a nutshell.
- Emulsifiable concentrate; these chemical pesticides do not take effect on fruits and vegetables.
- Dust and Chemical Pesticides; Stable particles such as roach chalk, ash can be used in making pesticides in dust form.
- Lastly, Soluble or wet powder
And as we all know, chemical pesticides have more advantages than a disadvantage because it is the most potent method of controlling a large population of pests and preventing them from eating away our farm produce and so on. It is also the most efficient and effective way of combating an outbreak of pests.
Chemical pesticides have been in existence for thousands of years, before they were known as “pests” or before the materials for limiting them were called “pesticides.”
However, the main transformation in chemical pesticides took place between the 18th and 19th centuries when the industries in charge of large production required a much more efficient pest control chemical or a stronger concentration of the chemicals.
Some of the advantages of chemical pesticides include;
- Easy application: One of the appreciated advantages of chemical pesticides is that it is an easier way of getting rid of pests. All you have to do is carefully apply the substance in whatever form it is, and that’s all.
- Effectiveness: As disastrous as it can be, it also has some good side; it can even be the reason for another man’s wealth because of its effectiveness in exterminating pests. A seller can boldly say to the buyer that this chemical will eliminate all the pests in your home/field and make more money if it eventually does.
- Quick Reaction: Every chemical pesticide in the market today has a similarity, which is a quick reaction against their enemy “pests.” Their quick reaction towards pests is one of the reasons why chemical pesticides still exist to date for over a century.
Remember that one can only achieve the best out of chemical pesticides only if you apply with caution and be vigilant, so you don’t spill the pesticide. Apply with caution, do not apply with your discretion, follow the direction of use as directed by the producer, and you will get the best.
If there is an outbreak of pest in your environment and it exceeds your capacity, it is strongly advised that you seek out a Pest control agency that can help you with the right appliances and carry out a thorough investigation to ensure that the right measure of chemicals is used, not only that, they are in the best position to ascertain that the pest control chemical is environmentally friendly and safe especially when dry.
How Do You Prevent Exposure From Pesticides?
The truth is, you can minimize the possibility of getting exposed to ills of Pesticides
One of the most reliable means of eradicating pests in your environment is employing the use of non-toxic substances to control pests in your home. And there are a lot of bio-chemicals that have low toxicity
Secondly, always wash your fruits before eating or making use of them. After doing your fumigation, you must avoid eating fruits without washing your hands properly.
Always make sure to use disinfectants to clean up your house every day if necessary, most especially when you have visitors who have walked through your lawn/field that has just been disinfected. If possible, do not allow them in with the shoes. They should take it off at the entrance.
Did you know that pesticides affect children more than adults? This is why we have the responsibility to take care of our home, keep germs and pests free to keep your children safe and sound, and also save the cost of taking a child to the hospital?
Our environment also should be free from pests because children can breathe in these pests if they are not taken care of or in proper custody. This accounts for why you must never fail to disinfect our home and the garden.
You should know that some chemical pesticides are quite harsh to the extent that they will cause more damage than killing the pests they were originally meant to kill, and that is why pest control should be done carefully or better still by professionals. It is more of a life-and-death situation that shouldn’t be taken lightly.
Some eco-friendly household chemicals can be used to get rid of pests, but they are not as harsh as some others, and they are namely,
These are the main types of chemical pest control methods. Share.
- 4 Major Pest Control Methods in Agriculture
- Restaurant Pest Control: Requirements, Procedure & Checklist
- Importance Of Pest Control: Why Is It Necessary?
- Effective Hospital Pest Control Methods